This is a good technique to reuse the silica gel packets which you get along with any electronic product or appliance. The main advantage of silica gel is that, it absorbs moisture and so it can be used to dry cell phones, flowers or other electronic products which gets damaged due to water.
Silica gel packets are normally found in food or electronic packages you buy at the store. These packages collect moisture that accumulates in these packages, thus protecting products in packages. Packets of silica gel can be reused for the conservation of photographs and tools and even protect cell phones.
Procedure & Instructions
- Line-in oven-safe pan or dish with foil of aluminium. Place the packet of silica gel (still in their packaging paper) inside the pan. If you have loose beads of silica, these may be poured inside too, however, make sure to spread them in the pan.
- Heat the oven to 220 degrees f and place the pot inside. Packages can be heated from anywhere betwwen two to five hours. Be careful not to overheat the packets, since this will harm the silica.
- Place the packets in a plastic zip-top bag along with your collectibles or tools.
- Recharge the silica packets. When silica beads turn colors (depending on the manufacturer, they can turn from blue to pink or orange to green), repeat steps 1 and 2, so you can continue to use them for their moisture-absorbing properties.
- Keep the packets in a zip lock bag until you need them to help preserve them.
- Silica gel can also be used to dry and preserve flowers.
- If your cell phone gets wet, put it in a zip-top bag with a silica gel packet and the packet will help absorb the water, possibly preventing damage to the phone.
- Silica gel can be used to keep food fresh.
- Most packets are Tyvek packages and are perfectly safe to put in the oven since they are made to be heat-resistant.
- Use un-tampered silica gel packets.
- Do not microwave silica gel packets.
Share and Enjoy